Saturday, December 1, 2007

Veggie Stew



It's snowing outside today, and the only remedy is a steamy bowl of chunky veggie stew. I put a rutabega in mine, and it gives the whole stew a really robust flavor. The taste is pretty powerful, so make sure you enjoy rutabega first!


This is a crockpot dish, and I prefer all my food cooked on high for half the time as opposed to low. It just always seems to turn out better for me for some reason. I cooked this stew for about 4 hours and 45 minutes (my crock is HUGE, and I filled it up) and the veggies were absolutely perfect.


Ingredients:


Beans: I used one can dark red kidneys and white kidneys, but I've made it w/ black beans, garbanzos, whatever. (2 15 oz. cans)
Diced tomatoes (undrained) w/ the garlic, basil, and oregano in it (2 15 oz. cans)
Hunts tomato sauce (1 8 oz. can)
Can of green chilis for fun (mostly drained)--I had never used them before, but I think it really added something to the stew.
Frozen green beans and corn--about a half bag of each
Generous 2 tblsp of Steak Sauce (I just dump some in, so this is approximate)
Freshly chopped vegetables:
Onion (used three)
Carrot (used a bunch of baby carrots, cut in half)
Celery (4-5 stalks, peeled)
Rutabega (just one. trust me.)
Potato (5 big ones)



Now, do your stuff, Mr. Crock P. Ott!










I can not overstate the wonderfulness of the crock pot liners. I've heard some anti-liner gals protest that they're afraid the food would taste different--believe me, it doesn't. It just makes clean-up supah dupah easy.
I just eat my veggie stew w/ some freshly ground pepper on top, but I'll cover my husband's bowl in cheddar cheese and some sour cream. You can jazz it up all you like! Enjoy.

3 comments:

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This looks awesome Tasty. I can't wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! I'll have to bookmark this for when my newly vegetarian friend visits.

Thanks for the book recommendation, BTW! :)